Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Breaking The Diet Coke Addiction

Image: WeHeartIt
Today's post is a little bit different -- it's one of those 'life' type posts! If you follow me on twitter or instagram (@jaynebecca for both) you will know that I have been on a bit of a health kick the past few weeks. I am generally fairly healthy and I believe that 'everything in moderation' is the way to be! But in order to Tone It Up and increase my energy levels I have made a few changes to my diet. One of those includes finally breaking the Diet Coke addiction!

It's not just Diet Coke that I was addicted to, I also loved Diet Dr Pepper and other fizzy sodas. I found them refreshing and they gave me a boost of energy -- which is due to the caffeine in them. At my worst I could easily get through two 1.5 litre bottles in a week. Crazy I know! So I decided enough was enough and I have been cutting down over the past couple of months. However I could not completely kick the habit so when I decided to follow the Tone It Up Beach Week I just cut it out, cold turkey. I thought it would be hard but to be honest I don't miss it. My skin looks brighter and I have more energy -- I'm no longer relying on Diet Coke for an energy boost!


Here's a few interesting points about the chemicals in the artificial sweeteners which are in diet soda drinks:

  • They can cause you to hold on to stubborn fats, make you tired, cause hunger and cellulite.
  • They are linked to cancer.
  • They can cause headaches.
  • If you are prone to mood disorders such as depression they can enhance the symptoms.
I believe that you should be able to pronounce all the ingredients on the side of the packaging --- if you cannot pronounce it, don't buy it! 

I am now drinking much more water, especially as I am doing a workout most mornings. I drink fruit juice in the mornings and I might treat myself to a smoothie at work if I need a boost. I also drink a lot of green tea with mint and chai tea with semi skimmed milk. Coconut water is great and so good for you! Some people don't like the taste and I must admit I prefer the fruit flavoured ones myself. 

You are better off having real sugar rather than a sweetener in your coffee or tea -- if that is how you like it. A little bit of sugar in your life is fine as it is natural after all. You can also add fruit to your water to give it a bit of extra taste. When I want something sweeter I love the Bottle Green Elderflower Cordial with regular filtered water or sparkling water. 

I have successfully kicked the Diet Coke addiction and honestly I do not miss it and I feel better for it!

Are you addicted to Diet Coke or have you broken the addiction?

16 comments :

  1. I've been trying to break the diet coke habit. I was not having many cans a week to start with as the colourings are a possible trigger for my eczema. I drink as much water as I can tolerate, I do find that you need a little sugar sometimes to quench thirst so I opt for a weak squash instead. I like elderflower the sparkling elderflower & pomegranate from Green Bottle is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I haven't tried the Elderflower & Pomegranate yet. I shall track that one down :) I didn't know that the colourings were a possible cause for eczema. My boyfriend suffers from that but his eczema always seems to be triggered more by stress.

      Delete
  2. I stopped drinking coke too. It's so bad for your teeth. I only have it as a treat now as I love amaretto and coke but that is only about once a week...if that. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A treat every now is fine & good for the soul!

      Delete
  3. I have never really been addicted but I am cutting out all fizzy drinks at the moment, you are right it really does help improve skin. I did some read up about the chemical Aspartame which is found in Diet drinks and it is so bad for you!!

    Callie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes aspartame is the worst! It is actually banned in the USA so I don't understand why they keep using it in the UK x

      Delete
  4. I gave it up for two weeks (and posted today too, spookily) but I'm not ready to give it up for good (yet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh spooky! It does take time to cut it out completely. Every now & then I do crave it!

      Delete
  5. I've never been a big fan of fizzy drinks but my boyfriend was addicted to Diet Coke when we first starting going out. He had to give it up on doctor's orders because he was getting massive migraines from it. It's nasty stuff! x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the caffeine & chemicals in the diet coke can cause dehydration which in turn cause headaches & migraines. Not good! x

      Delete
  6. Great post! I am going to save this to my "favourites menu bar" so when I am having a moment of weakness I can remind myself why I SHOULD drink water instead!

    I actually love regular coke..have been drinking it on and off for 3 years now-yikez :S

    xx Veronica

    http://frowardfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think regular coke isn't as bad because it is real sugar not fake sugar! We aren't perfect all the time but if you want a fizzy drink I'd choose the real stuff over the diet x

      Delete
  7. fab post! my friend cut out diet coke from her diet... that was the only thing she changed and she lost 5lb. she swore it suppressed her hunger so later on after her diet coke fix she felt STARVING! i find things like this so interesting

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. I have been working out more but I don't feel bloated anymore & I am sure that was caused by the diet coke! x

      Delete
  8. Well done! I eat fairly healthily apart from diet drinks so I think this would be the next step for me!

    http://arrceebee.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s amazing how much you don’t drink when you simply don’t have it in the house. I still drink soda (yes, diet) when I go out, but it’s more of a treat now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...